[Neurodebian-users] Dependency trouble with matlab-psychtoolbox-3

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Wed Aug 6 13:49:56 UTC 2014

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014, Mario Kleiner wrote:
> >>    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> >>    i'm guessing that this means that the matlab-psychtoolbox-3 package is
> >>    currently out-of-date?
> >>    any help with getting this to work would be much appreciated. amongst the
> >>    researchers that i work with, i'm trying to lead the charge towards Linux
> >>    and eventually Octave...

> >well -- Octave one should work no-problem, with Matlab one (blame is
> >mine since I haven't had time to implement install-time building of
> >extensions and just distribute Mario's copies) we would need to figure
> >it out...

> >Mario -- you just staticly build-in GLEW, don't you?  so I could just
> >drop dependency on libglew altogether for that matlab- package, or
> >I have forgotten smth?

> Yes, statically linked, so dropping the dependency for the Matlab
> mex files from me should work.

> Although i wonder why the same problem doesn't happen with your
> octave mex files? Dependency on different glew version - probably
> whatever is the system default one?

yes... but for octave I do build actual binary packages on every
Debian/Ubuntu release and specific libglewVERSION dependency gets
automatically inserted (I just build-depend on libglew-dev).  For
matlab, since I just take your binaries atm, I didn't bother building
per-release binary package but make the same package available, thus
hardcoding those dependencies.

> My Ubuntu 14.04 has libglew1.10
> as current one. I have an old libglew1.9, but that seems to be a
> leftover from a 13.04 installation and the package manager says it
> comes from: 1.9.0-3~bnd1~nd13.04+1
> So at some point it was part of NeuroDebian, apparently for 13.04.

;-)  yeap... and as a quick workaround for original problem I now
uploaded a backport build for 14.04 as well (the same for freenect
0.1), so issue should be resolved (tested in a clean 14.04 environment
-- installs fine now, just do apt-get update first)

> >freenect -- would you mind rebuilding your extensions against freenect
> >0.2?  for some reason I have only uploaded 0.2 to Debian proper but not
> >to NeuroDebian, and now users on bleeding edge Ubuntu releases with
> >neuroDebian end up "bleeding".   Ella -- I will push a build of 0.1
> >version of libfreenect for trusty tomorrow to NeuroDebian so we would
> >have a quick resolution for that one at least...
> Not sure about that. Old distros which we still support won't have
> freenect 0.2, no? My old Matlab build system definitely doesn't have
> it.
> I'd do such a switch for the next beta, when the 3.0.12 series
> starts, so we can have one transition with changed
> dependencies/system requirements. I'd like to avoid touching 3.0.11
> as much as possible, i really want to get rid of its maintenance,
> given that it is declared eol since April.

They will, if neuroDebian repository would be enabled.  since we do not
support carrying multiple versions of packages atm, and we do not have
automated migration machinery (such as unstable->testing in Debian) I do
not want to upload 0.2 to NeuroDebian "proper".  I did upload it for now
(few 32bit builds still TODO), to NeuroDebian -devel (let me know if you
need instructions) so you could install/build against it and then we
would upload both upcoming PTB-3 and freenect 0.2 to NeuroDebian for all
Debian/Ubuntu's.

once again, for now I just uploaded 0.1 backport for 14.04 -- it should
not cause any trouble I believe and should resolve the issue.

> But iirc one can simply set a soft-link from freenect 0.1 to 0.2,
> and the mex files will work with it and gain some new functionality,
> e.g., XBOX for Window support.

Cheers!

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.