[Neurodebian-users] Accessing networked computers from neuroDebian

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Thu May 1 17:37:47 UTC 2014

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014, Shpaner, Marina wrote:
>    We would like to be able to access different computers from NeuroDebian.

"access" is a bit too vague... e.g. you could access any other computer
via HTTP or SSH or any other protocol -- those connections should be
forwarded by virtualbox and we do not configure any internal to the VM
firewall which would forbid that.

>    We tried the Device/Shared Folder route, and we can see/mount the network
>    from there but it’s failing to mount in the terminal. All our computers
>    are MACs, so we can use either smb or afp to share. Can this be done and
>    how?

so -- you are trying to setup access to the remote file systems exposed
on the network as smb shares (use smbclient) and/or afp shares
(personnally had no experience with those, but may be smth like
http://stackoverflow.org/wiki/Mount_an_AFP_share_from_Linux could be of
reasonable approach)?

if you post specific error msgs you receive in the terminal -- share
those, may be we could then help out to unravel them.

alternatively, you could also try using sshfs to "mount" remote file
systems through the SSH -- there is some performance penalty but there
are pros (as secure as your accounts there are/user access control etc).
Usage is very simple, e.g.

$> sshfs neurodebian:www/debian /tmp/mirror
$> ls /tmp/mirror
dists/  extracts/  pool/  robots.txt  vm/

;-)

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org