[Neurodebian-users] ND menus

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Fri Feb 5 00:54:54 UTC 2016

On Thu, 04 Feb 2016, Bennet Fauber wrote:

> Yaroslav,

> Thanks for the helpful information.  I'll go see if I can read source.

> In the meantime, you said:

>     Although the question would be more of "what
>     should a user get when he wants to run FSL"

> I am greedy also, but I try to be circumspect.  I think there are many
> people who will want the full suite of programs, help files, and etc.,
> but not necessarily want the sample data, the atlas, etc.  None of the
> labs for which I've installed FSL has ever asked for the data included
> in the bare 'fsl' package.

> There isn't right now a menu option to install the FSL data
> separately.  I'm not sure what that would 'do' once the data was
> installed, but I think something that captures that spirit is what is
> wanted here.

another aspect now is "compatibility".  If previously it did install
everything, it better keeps doing it now ;)  but not sure how many
people used this neat feature we did with menu entries (I do on occasion
while testing VM).

on the other hand, indeed, probably installing just a -core would be the
most humane.  May be eventually we should extend those with some
additional comments stating smth like "To install full suite, install
bla-bla package" which would accompany the prompt.

> Thoughts on that?  In the meantime, I will look at source and make the
> more minimal changes and try to get some sort of pull request
> submitted.

cheers!
--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko