[Neurodebian-users] Software installation

Bennet Fauber bennet at umich.edu
Mon May 9 13:20:58 UTC 2016

Yaroslav,

We're trying to get one 'management' scheme set up to handle a variety
of cases.  Currently, we're looking at taking a stock Xbuntu
installation, adding to that the ND respositories, pre-installing a
subset of the available ND applications (say, the Neurophysiology and
Medical Imaging programs), and finally adding some local customization
for our environment (for example, kerberos and ldap configuration).
None of us are adept at creating .deb installations, and for many
service configurations, a simple shell script or an Ansible playbook
would be fine and probably require less overhead.

We are anticipating that some subset of the installations will be on
physical machines, some on virtual machines.  Some of the virtual
machines will be on VMs in our 'cloud' and will remain under out
control; some will be on people's laptops and may well stick around
for some time (think of graduate students) but will eventually leave
our environment, and some will be here just for the workshop and will
leave immediately.  We'd like to be able to install appropriately for
all.

> I found ansible handy to provide such initial or maintain continuous
> "uniform" setup across boxes, since you might want to tune some
> configuration as well, not just install a bunch of packages.

If you'd be willing to share some more details of your Ansible setup
with us, that would be extremely helpful, as that is precisely what we
are planning for the machines that remain resident and would be
remotely reachable.  We have just decided on Ansible in April, and
none of us are experienced with it, so any leg up would be greatly
appreciated.

We have been a RHEL/CentOS shop for so long our minds have grown weak.  ;-)

-- bennet