[Neurodebian-users] running neurodebian Singularity container on Redhat EL6?

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Mon Aug 28 17:21:56 UTC 2017

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017, Craig Hamilton wrote:

> I have a system running Redhat EL6 and want to be able to use neurodebian on it.  One solution I tried is:
>    1. Build singularity from source
>    2. Run “singularity pull shub://neurodebian/neurodebian”  which downloads a 12GB Singularity container.
>    3. Run “singularity shell neurodebian-neurodebian-master.img”
>    4. I get a shell prompt within the container, but don’t find any neuro software available anywhere.
>        If I run ‘uname -a’ at the container shell prompt, it returns redhat linux, not debian. The file system is
>        very different than the underlying system’s file system, so I think I am inside the container.

> Am I wasting my time trying to do this?   Singularity seems like a great solution, but do I need to be
> running inside a debian VM?  That seems like an extra, unnecessary layer.

nah, no VM must be needed as long as the host system is linux as well (which is
in your case)

the gotcha [more in 1] could be that by default you have overlays enabled

$> grep overlay /etc/singularity/singularity.conf
enable overlay = yes

but your kernel is too old and doesn't support them (run lsmod | grep overlay)
so disable them in the config and try again please.

[1] https://github.com/singularityware/singularity/issues/721#issuecomment-307196365

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience     http://centerforopenneuroscience.org