[Neurodebian-users] NeuroFedora packaging priorities

Morgan Hough morgan.hough at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 09:23:45 GMT 2018

Hey Yarik,

Good to hear from you too. If we are only going to meet in person every
15-20 years I think we need to wear those badges like high school reunions
with pictures of our younger, more idealistic selves:) Sorry for the delay
but living in the UK as foreign residents has its ups and downs with my
wife finishing grad school.

To your points. Well if you don’t mind me sometimes mailing the list about
upstream issues, I have a couple people working on neurodebian packages too
so it will be mostly relevant. For dsiStudio for instance, I am wondering
what we should do about the data that he doesn’t have bundled in his main
source project. It will be mostly things like that. I am still very
interested in the current status of a independent FreeSurfer build BTW.

I will definitely make datalad a priority. I think Igor will approve:) My
friend Simon has been running an IPFS node BTW. I will checkout popcon for
sure. I think mricron, mrtrix3, AFNI, MNI tools and ANTs cover a lot of
ground in terms of broad coverage with GPL/BSD tools. Interesting but not
surprising on the top results. Curious how much you de-emphasize Python
tools (NiPy projects), not denying their awesome merits, but just because
everyone pushes Anaconda and/or pip installable generic packaging.

Love to hear more about your FOSDEM plans. Happy to volunteer to help. I
think there are some HBP software/standards projects they would like to
also see more outside adoption too. I know at MozFest there are
non-scientists interested and motivated to help in ways they can with
projects. That’s certainly what I am trying to learn from Mozilla Fellows.
If we can find the right engagement, I think there are people out there
interested. Separately from NeuroFedora, I am trying to do more with
make/hackaday hardware crowd and find projects that solve their problems
like LSL that might get them more engaged. Still digging.

Talk more soon. Hope to see you again soon (maybe January in Florida this
time?)

Cheers,

-Morgan