[Neurodebian-users] Psychtoolbox PsychPortAudio and jack

Todd toddrjen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 21:33:13 GMT 2020

I am trying to use the PsychPortAudio tool in Psychtoolbox to play
low-latency, highly reliable sound in MATLAB.  I have my system set up to
use the Jack Audio Connection Kit because of this.  However, the MATLAB
version of Psychtoolbox provided by neurodebian is not detecting my jack
device.  The octave version is detecting the device, as is a python-based
portaudio package python3-pyaudio.

Is there any way to get Jack support in the MATLAB version of Psychtoolbox
like it is in the Octave version?

I am using Ubuntu Bionic.

I did a bit of digging and it looks like the octave version of Psychtoolbox
depends on "libportaudio2 (>=19+svn20101113)".  On Ubuntu, this corresponds
to the system libportaudio package, which is built with support for Jack.
The MATLAB version, however, has no such dependency.  Since PsychPortAudio
is using portaudio, this may mean the MATLAB version is using an internal
portaudio library, but I can't be sure.

Thanks a lot!

Sincerely,
Todd