[Neurodebian-users] Psychtoolbox PsychPortAudio and jack

yoh at onerussian.com yoh at onerussian.com
Sun Mar 8 03:51:06 GMT 2020

On Wed, 04 Mar 2020, Todd wrote:

>    I am trying to use the PsychPortAudio tool in Psychtoolbox to play
>    low-latency, highly reliable sound in MATLAB.  I have my system set up to
>    use the Jack Audio Connection Kit because of this.  However, the MATLAB
>    version of Psychtoolbox provided by neurodebian is not detecting my jack
>    device.  The octave version is detecting the device, as is a python-based
>    portaudio package python3-pyaudio.
>    Is there any way to get Jack support in the MATLAB version of Psychtoolbox
>    like it is in the Octave version?
>    I am using Ubuntu Bionic.
>    I did a bit of digging and it looks like the octave version of
>    Psychtoolbox depends on "libportaudio2 (>=19+svn20101113)".  On Ubuntu,
>    this corresponds to the system libportaudio package, which is built with
>    support for Jack.  The MATLAB version, however, has no such dependency.
>    Since PsychPortAudio is using portaudio, this may mean the MATLAB version
>    is using an internal portaudio library, but I can't be sure.

does it start to work for you when install that libportaudio2 package?

FWIW, we ship matlab libraries as built by upstream, i.e. Mario.  We can
declare what packages it needs to have installed, but that is about it.
so it might be worth asking on the ptb-3 forum, if something not
working, beyond absent package dependencies.

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience     http://centerforopenneuroscience.org