[Nut-upsdev] SEC protocol driver.

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 07:53:19 UTC 2005

2005/12/19, Julius P. Malkiewicz <julius at sonartech.com.au>:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:07:18AM +0100, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > before working on a point, contact me first!
> > The SEC driver as already been resurected as gamatronic in the Dev and
> > Testing tree...
>
> Ah .. the testing branch ... (I don't think I was aware of it).

things have changed a lot since I've taken over NUT.
The development is now more open and transparent... But there is still a lot
to do.

I did attempt search for new work on the sec driver ... obviously I missed
> that it had been (temporarily) renamed to gamatronic :).

the CHANGES file is the best place to search for such things ;-)

> Thanks to check this one for merging changes.
>
> Hmm ... a quick look indicates that the two efforts are different ... I've
> modified the code quite extensively to make it (what I hope) is more
> readable
> ... also support for instcmd are made.  gamatronic has alarm support (I
> didn't add as the documentation wasn't the clearest ...)
>
> However, the big difference I see is that the serial port reader
> (sec_upsrecv)
> uses ser_get_line with ENDCHAR ... which seems to be against the SEC
> protocol,
> (as per http://www.networkupstools.org/protocols/sec.html), and indeed
> won't
> work with the Belkin UPS I have here ... (no end-of-line delimiter is
> transmitted, as per SEC spec).
>
>   Unless I'm mistaken, the gamatronic driver will not work for any
> SEC-based device because of this :(.
>
>   I guess that leads to a problem, with a solution which probably involves
> library to share the common bits between different "veneer" comms
> protocols.
>
>   I feel my code is a little cleaner, and should be used as "the" sec
> driver,
> but won't be offended if that's not the case :) ...

what I propose is that you (Julius and Nadav) synchronise on that to check
how these 2 drivers could be merged into one, with an option (upstype, or
whatever) to switch this endchar, if the technical changes are limited to
that. If the difference are more important, a share code + subdrivers /
drivers can be the way.

Note that I haven't looked at your (Julius) code...