[Nut-upsdev] SEC protocol driver.

Julius P. Malkiewicz julius at sonartech.com.au
Mon Dec 19 08:41:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:07:18AM +0100, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> before working on a point, contact me first!
> The SEC driver as already been resurected as gamatronic in the Dev and
> Testing tree...

Ah .. the testing branch ... (I don't think I was aware of it).
I did attempt search for new work on the sec driver ... obviously I missed
that it had been (temporarily) renamed to gamatronic :).

> Thanks to check this one for merging changes.

Hmm ... a quick look indicates that the two efforts are different ... I've
modified the code quite extensively to make it (what I hope) is more readable
... also support for instcmd are made.  gamatronic has alarm support (I
didn't add as the documentation wasn't the clearest ...)

However, the big difference I see is that the serial port reader (sec_upsrecv)
uses ser_get_line with ENDCHAR ... which seems to be against the SEC protocol,
(as per http://www.networkupstools.org/protocols/sec.html), and indeed won't
work with the Belkin UPS I have here ... (no end-of-line delimiter is
transmitted, as per SEC spec).

  Unless I'm mistaken, the gamatronic driver will not work for any SEC-based
device because of this :(.

  I guess that leads to a problem, with a solution which probably involves a
library to share the common bits between different "veneer" comms protocols.

  I feel my code is a little cleaner, and should be used as "the" sec driver,
but won't be offended if that's not the case :) ...

 - Julius.