[Nut-upsdev] Fwd: RE New xanto driver for NUT

Carlos Rodrigues cefrodrigues at mail.telepac.pt
Tue Nov 15 21:01:44 UTC 2005

On 11/15/05, Andreas Thienemann <andreas at bawue.net> wrote:
> Main differences in the commandset:
> Q<cr> to switch off the buzzer is not implemented
> F<cr> to gather information about the device is not implemented
> F with parameters is used to switch the system to bypass and back to
> on-line mode.

This could be worked around, by making the "megatec" driver use the
"F" command as an option to obtain info, and not fail when it isn't
supported or returns wrong values.

> Especialle the inability to offer any device information together with the
> fact that the device does not echo unknown commands back to the user, as
> the megatec protocol usually does, would most likely result in many
> special cases for the xanto series in the existing megatec drivers.

Not providing any information seems to fit 90% of the hardware that
uses this protocol...

As it stands now, that would have to be implemented as a bunch of
special cases yes, but the point of the "megatec" driver is to turn
special cases into the norm. Right now it it too hardwired for the
models it supports, and that has to change some time.

> If you want to, we could adapt the generic megatec driver to support the
> xanto models. It's your call. But I fear, the hassle is too much.

No pain, no gain. :) Anyhow, if you prefer to keep it separate I think
you should, for now.

I have some suggestions though... If you can, please take a close look
at the "megatec" driver, and then keep the possibility of a merge on
the back of your head while developing "xanto". That way, we can see
more clearly what has to be done on the "megatec" side to assimilate
"xanto" without becoming messy (i.e. that would help "generifying"
megatec), and you can see more clearly how to develop it in a way that
it can be integrated more easily.

Right now the fork may be the better option, but the point of the
megatec" driver" is to evolve into something that can cope more easily
with those special cases. If you follow my suggestion above, that goal
becomes easier to achieve.

--
Carlos Rodrigues