[Nut-upsdev] Fwd: RE New xanto driver for NUT

Andreas Thienemann andreas at bawue.net
Tue Nov 15 21:14:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:

> This could be worked around, by making the "megatec" driver use the
> "F" command as an option to obtain info, and not fail when it isn't
> supported or returns wrong values.
Yeah.
Means the user would have to specify his model.
Could be done.

> Not providing any information seems to fit 90% of the hardware that
> uses this protocol...
Really? Great.
But as far as I remember, the idea was to test for the device by seeing
which commands are accepted, and which get echoed back.
Won't work with the xanto series.

> Right now the fork may be the better option, but the point of the
> megatec" driver" is to evolve into something that can cope more easily
> with those special cases. If you follow my suggestion above, that goal
> becomes easier to achieve.
Okay, in that case, I suggest we proceed as follows:

Right now, I'll clean up the xanto.c/.h bundle and submit it as an unified
diff.
As soon as the megatec driver might be able to support the xanto series,
we can think about a way of merging them.

bye,
 andreas