[Nut-upsdev] Fwd: RE New xanto driver for NUT

Carlos Rodrigues cefrodrigues at mail.telepac.pt
Tue Nov 15 21:32:30 UTC 2005

On 11/15/05, Andreas Thienemann <andreas at bawue.net> wrote:
> But as far as I remember, the idea was to test for the device by seeing
> which commands are accepted, and which get echoed back.
> Won't work with the xanto series.

Since we now have an example where it doesn't work, it means that we
can only do "testing" with a limited number of commands (those that
are supported everywhere but may have variations, like "Q1").

> Right now, I'll clean up the xanto.c/.h bundle and submit it as an unified
> diff.
> As soon as the megatec driver might be able to support the xanto series,
> we can think about a way of merging them.

I'll take a look at it when you submit it. Then we can see what can
and can't be done.

Just for the record, a generic driver like "megatec" only makes sense
where there are enough common functionallity. If the "Q1" command is
about the same (some variations may be easily integrated, others may
not), and so are the shutdown commands (turn the load on/off, turn the
ups on/off), chances are all the rest can be modularized enough to
fit.

That's why I think going ahead with the fork is the better option
right now. At least the hardware gets supported and all these
questions can be answered.

--
Carlos Rodrigues