[Nut-upsdev] Re: apc-hid tests, ups_status updates

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sun Oct 9 05:45:18 UTC 2005

OK, I have fixed this now, I think. Actually, I redesigned the way
status flags are handled in newhidups. The new concept is that we
distinguish more carefully between device status flags and NUT status
flags. Device flags are actual states reported by the device, such as
"lowbatt" or "shutdownimm". Importantly, several different device
flags can map to the same NUT flag; for example, both "lowbatt" and
"shutdownimm" are mapped to "LB". Thus, NUT flags are more abstract
than device flags.

In the old way of doing things, device flags were converted to NUT
flags right away, and stored in memory as NUT flags. The problem was:
if two device flags map to the same NUT flag, and one is set and the
other not, then depending on the order in which they are read, one
could overwrite the other. The old solution was: many flags were never
cleared.

In the new way of doing things, we store the device flags directly.
process_status_info() no longer interprets these values; it just
remembers them. The interpretation (i.e., mapping to NUT flags) is now
done only on demand, i.e., by ups_status_set(). In this way,
ups_status_set() can look at all the different flags, e.g. "lowbatt"
and "shutdownimm", and decide to take their logical "or" or whatever
to create sensible NUT flags.

I also made a few other minor changes: I added added NUT status flags
OVERHEAT, COMMFAULT, DEPLETED; these are used by Belkin and already
exist in the belkinunv driver.

I also updated the Belkin subdriver to calculate OL/OB in a more
sensible way.

This update lives between the following tags:

  cvs diff -u -r before_PSE_10 -r after_PSE_10

-- Peter