[Nut-upsdev] recent and planned changes

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sat Sep 17 00:30:51 UTC 2005

Arnaud Quette wrote:

> 2005/9/16, Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca>:
> >
> > * I committed into CVS the gendb patch that I sent to the mailing list
> > on September 12. Arnaud, I hope you approve of this patch; it is
> > more reliable than the previous method in tracking the correct
> > dependencies.
>

> no, I reject this one as is.
> it's gcc specific to gcc, so has to be tied some way to autodetecting if
> we're running gcc...

The logical answer to this is: dependencies don't need to be generated
by the user at compile time. They need to be generated by the
maintainer at release time (and occasionally by developers in CVS).
Assuming that the maintainer has access to "gcc", there is no
portability cost to generating the dependencies this way.

I have changed the Makefile so that the gendb is no longer run when
you do "make clean", but only when you do "make depend" (in the
drivers subdirectory). This way, the end user will never have to run
this. (New tag: after_PSE_4).

> Moreover, there is no need for a 2nd loop. You can add this in the gendb
> mainloop, which make things cleaner, ie

I disagree. The main loop only loops through "standard" drivers. My
loop generates correct dependencies for all the sources, including
special drivers.

> always keep in mind that nut runs on a lot of platform, and should continue.
> Even if gcc is a kind of standard, we can't force our users to compile nut
> with it...

See above.

-- Peter