[Nut-upsdev] newhidups: merged regex changes

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sun Sep 25 17:01:30 UTC 2005

Arnaud Quette wrote:

> Some more points while you're at it:
> - newhidups will have to be renamed. My aimed was to let the name until we
> can superceed hidups. Then remove hidups, and rename newhidups to usbhid-ups
> (name proposition welcomed, but should match the fact that it's for USB/HID
> compliant devices, not USB only).

It seems that some combination of "nut", "ups", "usb", and "hid" is
needed. The name should also be reasonably short and pronouncable.

How about "nuthid"? I personally would prefer the name to contain
"USB", because "HID" is a technical term from the USB specification
that does not mean anything to users. But I understand the need to
indicate somehow that the driver does not work for all USB devices.
Your "usbhid-ups" also achieves this goal, as does "nut-hidusb" or
"nut_generic_usb" etc. A conservative choice would be to rename
"newhidups" as "nuthidups".

> - if you have a bit more time to check for the hotplug detection (linux
> only) / files installation (the files libhid.usermap and libhidups, under
> scripts/hotplug ).

Last time I checked this, it worked fine.

> These two files should also be renamed to something more
> generall. IIRC, Charles tripplite_usb driver also use libusb, so renaming
> these to nut / nut.usermap, or ups / ups.usermap should be fine

Sure, why not?

> Note that there seems to be some hotplug-ng (now binary) underway. So maybe
> some hotplug files changes too... To be digged.

I would keep the current files in any case. In the future, one can add
a scripts/hotplug-ng directory, if the need arises (and somebody is
willing to contribute the scripts).

-- Peter