[Nut-upsdev] bcmxcp: stop whining (and log spamming)

Drew drew.kay at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 06:40:20 UTC 2006

> I dunno what everybody seems to read into my words.

I think what everyone has been reading into your words is what appears
to be an attitude of "This driver doesn't behave the way I want it to
(based on how my OS does things), therefore lets submit some code
patches that make the app use 'sensible' defaults according to 'my'
standards. And if anyone suggests something other then 'my' way, they
can be dismissed off hand."

So when a developer suggested an alternate method of saving you from
being spammed by the driver, you apparently discarded the suggestion
out of hand based on this notion of what is 'sensible' in the OpenBSD
world is automatically sensible in any *nix OS. Now that's not to say
your method isn't better, I'm no developer so that's not my call, but
the way you discarded the suggestion(s) came across as arrogant. Even
a reason why that method won't work, a "That doesn't work in my
experience and this is why" type of answer would've come across much
better. And if you are right (which there's no way to tell without
something to back it up) I probably wouldn't be listening to you.

And sorry if that doesn't make any sense. It's 11:30pm out here, I've
been up since 5:30am this morning and I'm nearly falling asleep at my
keyboard. And this being a crazy month between losing several staff &
vacations doesn't make my life any easier. :-)

As an aside, thanks to everyone who's contributed to NUT & derivative
projects. Between two UPS units, a small cluster of 3-4 servers, two
workstations, and various & sundry hardware to attach everything, NUT
has been keeping my little farm running smoothly since 2.0.2 was still
in CVS. :-)

-Drew