[Nut-upsdev] megatec and some changes to cmdvartab and new-names.txt

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Wed Dec 13 13:31:06 CET 2006

Arnaud Quette wrote:

> As for the symlink, that won't work since there is a control on the
> driver name.

I guess I don't really understand what you mean here. I did try this and
for me, it works.

# ln -s /usr/lib/ups/driver/safenet /usr/lib/ups/driver/foo

[ restart NUT ]

# upsc fenton at localhost
driver.name: foo
driver.parameter.manufacturer: Fenton
driver.parameter.modelname: PowerPal P600E
driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS0
driver.parameter.serialnumber: 23091046
driver.version: 2.1.0
driver.version.internal: 1.0
ups.mfr: Fenton
ups.model: PowerPal P600E
ups.serial: 23091046
ups.status: OL

So short of the fact that silently symlinking an older driver to a newer
one may not be a good idea at all (and the problems with incompatible
differences in the configuration files), what is the problem here?