[Nut-upsdev] Serial PnP for NUT?

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Mon Mar 13 09:08:54 UTC 2006

Are there any plans for using serial PnP in NUT?

I tried to implement this on the 'safenet' driver, but the support for
this doesn't seem to be widespread among the UPSes compatible with this
driver. So far, I have only managed to get one (a Sweex 1000) to output
it, but unfortunately, it is probably too generic to be really useful
for autodetection:

	PnP revision	: 1.00
	PnP EISA ID	: UPS
	PnP product ID	: 0001
	PnP description	: SMART UPS

Nevertheless, if someone is working on serial PnP, you may want to add
this. I'm not intending to implement this in the driver, since by the
time a driver is started, one should already know it is the correct one.
If we do want to add serial PnP capabilities, we probably need to do
that before starting the driver, in 'upsdrvctl' (or even before that).

Arjen