[Nut-upsdev] tripplite_usb and Omni1000

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 14:29:50 UTC 2006

On 3/17/06, Brandon Siegel <bsiegel at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Also, as I was reading through the source, I found a notation that some
> events were unknown as to their function. Here are the functions of the
> ones I could figure out (for the OMNI1000 LCD):

Hmm... which events are you referring to?

The tripplite_usb driver only covers the units which use USB/HID to
emulate the serial Tripp Lite protocol. If the device is really using
the HID Power Device Class protocol (usage page 0x84, like below) then
it probably could be supported by newhidups at some point.

> 8400d0: 0 when on battery, 1 when on wall power

potentially 0x8500d0 instead (battery page, ACPresent)

> 84004b: 0 when on wall power and battery (sorry, not much help on this
> one)

could be 0x85004b (battery page, NeedReplacement)

> 840045: 1 when on battery and also 1 immediately after wall power is
> restored, but changes to 0 after about 5-10 seconds

looks like 0x850045 (battery page, Discharging)

> 840044: 0 when on battery and also 0 immediately after wall power is
> restored, but changes to 1 after about 5-10 seconds

looks like 0x850044 (battery page, Charging)

So it looks like someone confused pages 0x84 and 0x85.

Where are these events coming from, by the way? Did you test with hidups?

> I noticed that immediately after wall power was restored, the LCD
> displayed voltage level of 122 volts. I suspect it is possible that the
> changing of those last two after a few seconds may involve automatic
> voltage regulation, or perhaps when the battery is charging.

Sounds like the latter.

Another thing: we have switched to SVN. The CVS branch "Development"
is still pretty close to the SVN trunk, but I just checked some
changes into tripplite_usb yesterday.

Details: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2006-February/000710.html

--
- Charles Lepple