[Nut-upsdev] PowerWalker UPS - Re-branded Mustek ?

devzero at web.de devzero at web.de
Mon Mar 27 20:50:38 UTC 2006

Hello !

first off, thank you all for making this piece of software.
from what i have seen so far this seems to be a really mature and advanced tool for all sorts of UPS models !

I`d like to tell that I own a UPS which isn`t listed on the compatibility list, but seems to be compatible.

It is a PowerWalker - see this at http://powerwalker.com/de/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=63&Itemid=106

It was damn cheap and I bought it just for testing, if such cheap UPS would fit to "low end needs".

>From what I can tell for now, i`m quite satisfied - I have a little homeserver running with this for over a year now and it works fine. (From time to time I do a test and plug the cable and all works continues running).  The thing that ever annoyed me with this UPS is the big fat java-based control software. Even the agent running on the server is big fat java-crap.

A year ago I came across this project and didn`t find my model on the list.
I lost interest because of this but now a year later I thought: "hey, let`s look again" - but still not being listed.....

On the PowerWalker website, I read that the person behind that company was related to Mustek before - so I thought, that there is a chance that the PowerWalker is a rebranded Mustek. I downloaded the source and grepped it for "mustek" and saw: hey, there is a driver - so I gave it a try and it really seems that my UPS is a re-branded Mustek.

with the mustek driver - upsc gives:

battery.charge: 97.5
battery.voltage: 13.6
driver.name: mustek
driver.version: 2.0.3
driver.version.internal: 0.2
input.frequency: 50.1
input.voltage: 228.5
output.voltage: 228.5
ups.load: 014
ups.mfr: Mustek
ups.model: PowerMust
ups.status: OL

upslog gives:

20060326 165042 95.0 228.5 013 [OL] NA 50.1

With the powermust driver (tested the next day)  i get:

battery.charge: 100.0
battery.voltage: 13.7
battery.voltage.nominal: 12.0
driver.name: powermust
driver.version: 2.0.3
driver.version.internal: 1.1
input.voltage: 230.7
input.voltage.fault: 230.7
input.voltage.maximum: 231.1
input.voltage.minimum: 230.7
output.frequency: 50.1
output.voltage: 230.7
output.voltage.target.battery: 220.0
ups.delay.shutdown: 2
ups.delay.start: 3
ups.load: 13.0
ups.mfr: Mustek
ups.model: PowerMust
ups.serial: unknown
ups.status: OL

upslog gives:
20060327 194453 100.0 230.7 13.0 [OL] NA NA

I didn`t have time to do in-depth test, but  I think this UPS will probably work fine with this software.

Does somebody own a PowerWalker and can acknowledge this?
What additional tests should I do to make sure compatibility is "sufficient" ?
For example, i`m unsure what driver should I use - I thought "sure - take powermust" - but why does upslog show less information than with mustek driver (it shows two fields "NA") ?

Anyway - i`m happy that I seem to have native linux support for my UPS now.

regards

roland k.

systems engineer

ps:
Furthermore, there seems some inconsistency between driver.list and website:

# Network UPS Tools driver.list
#
# This file is used to build the compat.html on the web server.  Any line
# with exactly 4 arguments will be turned into an entry on there.
# Naturally, it is read by parseconf, so the usual escaping tricks are
# allowed if you need to insert something unusual.

Is compat.html really built from this file or is this just outdated information ?
For example, I don`t find information about the fact, that Mustek UPS is known to NUT. (BTW: can NUT do autodetection? this should help others who donŽt have such luck or which are not happy to do "experiments")

pps:
sorry for crossposting - but i thought this was probably of interest for both users and developers - and since traffic isn`t very high......