[Nut-upsdev] Re: Common Linux Power Management (HAL and NUT) (was: Re: ideas for a new UPS infrastructure)

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Thu May 25 17:10:08 UTC 2006

> 2006/3/10, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk>:

> > One thing about HAL is that we can never have a configuration file
> > saying where to look for devices; the whole philosophy about HAL is to
> > detect your devices and present the desktop bits with an extremely
> > well-defined view.

Even if it is against spirit of HAL, why not define unified format for
undetectable devices? I guess it will not break the well-defined view
and not only serial UPSes can benefit from it:
- Unable or dangerous to detect non-PnP ISA cards (sound,...).
- Special and obscure serial devices.
- Obscure and old parallel devices (newer support BiTronics detection).
- Historic displays or displays connected to historic video cards.
- Maybe UPS power cabling.
- Maybe devices connected to I2C buses.

I can imagine that we put undetectable device descriptor (that can come
from manufacturer in future) somewhere into say
/usr/share/hal/devices/foo.dev, then specify in some configuration file,
that /etc/hal/extra-devices.conf, that will define, that foo.dev is
connected to /dev/ttyS0. Then the future standard device autoscanner
will skip /dev/ttyS0 when searching for modems.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SuSE CR, s. r. o.                             e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Drahobejlova 27                               tel: +420 296 542 382
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 296 542 374
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/