[Nut-upsdev] Re: New automake targets and Debian packages

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 23:41:56 CET 2006

On 11/19/06, Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca> wrote:
> The reason it's crude is because it takes a long time to re-run
> ./configure.

yikes.

> I assume that the other 99999 Debian packages use Automake, so perhaps
> we should see if they have a standard way of splitting the package?

I'll check and see how this works in other packages. I think our
particular system is not that common, though, due to the way that
libusb-dependent and NetSNMP-dependent binaries are mixed in the same
directory with other binaries. There are definitely packages out there
that move stuff between directories based on wildcards (lib*.so*,
*.pc, etc), but again, I'm trying to avoid hardcoding a list of USB
drivers in the rules file.

Maybe a better way is to have subdirectories for serial, SNMP and USB
drivers, and the build system could just cd into the appropriate
directories for 'make install' instead of doing 'make install' from
the top level.

--
- Charles Lepple