doxygen (was: Re: [Nut-upsdev] NUT and Automake)

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 01:18:45 UTC 2006

On 10/15/06, Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca> wrote:
> I have converted NUT's build system to Automake/Libtool. Right now,
> the new build system is contained in the "automake" branch, at:

Wow... this is really nice. Thanks for taking the time to do the conversion.

> drivers/Doxyfile        - this seems to belong to Charles. Perhaps
>                           related to auto-generating documentation
>                           for the tripplite_usb driver? It probably
>                           should go in another directory, and with
>                           a better name.

The name 'Doxyfile' is actually the default name for the doxygen
configuration file.

That said, doxygen is not really good at documenting source code for
projects that have multiple programs (and multiple 'main()'
functions). What might be useful is to have a template Doxygen.in that
can generate documentation for a given driver (as specified in a
./configure parameter). You can move it elsewhere, but I will just
have to adjust the source paths.

Eventually, I would like to put some more documentation into the core
NUT files, since there are a number of assumptions that aren't obvious
if you are just reading driver code.

The man page for tripplite_usb is actually generated with the Perl
POD-to-man translator, but I didn't want to put another dependency
into the old build system - so I just rebuilt the man page by hand.
This is another candidate for automation.

--
- Charles Lepple