[Nut-upsdev] NUT and Automake

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Tue Oct 17 16:33:34 UTC 2006

Charles Lepple wrote:

> On 10/17/06, Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2006/10/16, Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca>:
> > > * Files that are generated by aclocal, autoheader, autoconf, automake,
> > >   and ./configure have been removed from SVN. Upon checking out a
> > >   fresh copy from SVN, populate it is follows:
> > >
> > >         aclocal -I m4
> > >         autoconf
> > >         autoheader
> > >         automake
> > >
> > >   If you have "autoreconf", you can do all of this in a single step:
> > >
> > >         autoreconf -v
> >

> > the above is generally addressed by an autogen.sh script, which is
> > still to be run after a checkout, but which does everything for us...
>
> autoreconf has apparently been around since at least automake 2.57
> (2002), so we probably don't need the autogen.sh script.

Ah, yes, it's distributed with autoconf. So everyone with the ability
to run that autogen.sh script (which calls autoconf) would
automatically have autoreconf available. So I agree that an autogen.sh
script is not needed in this case. The documentation on "how to get
NUT from SVN" should mention that it is necessary to run autoreconf.

> Peter: do you know the minimum required versions of autoconf and
> automake for your changes?

Unfortunately, I don't have that information (finding out would
require installing older versions and trying them). I am using
autoconf 2.59 and automake 1.9.6, which are more or less the most
current versions (I think?).

The good news is that automake/autoconf only need to be run by

* maintainers,
* people who want to build from SVN

The average user, who builds NUT from a source tarball, won't have to
worry about this. The ./configure script and Makefile.in's are
generated by the maintainer and are extremely portable.

-- Peter