[Nut-upsdev] NUT and Automake

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Tue Oct 17 16:41:37 UTC 2006

Arnaud Quette wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> first of all, kudos for that very good job ;-)

Thanks.

> > I found two files with which I was not sure what to do. They are:
> >
> > data/evolution500.dev   - what is this for?
>
> this is for the new dummy driver (dummy-ups, replacing dummycons).
> this is basically, as explained in dummy-ups.8, an upsc dump which can
> be loaded by the driver, and is shipped as an example.

I see. According to the man page, the driver looks for such files in
${sysconfdir}. So should this file be installed? Currently, it is
distributed, but not installed.

> I just wonder how you addressed the drivers dir specifics?!

This is documented in docs/configure.txt. Essentially, there are four
options for configuring which drivers will be built, and one option
for configuring where they will be installed:

 --with-serial

   Build and install the serial drivers (default: yes)

 --with-usb

   Build and install the USB drivers (default: no)

 --with-snmp

   Build and install the SNMP drivers (default: no)

 --with-drivers=<driver>,<driver>,...

   Specify exactly which driver or drivers to build and install (this
   works for serial, usb, and snmp drivers), i.e., it overrides the
   preceding three options.

 --with-drvpath=PATH

   The UPS drivers will be installed to this path.  By default they
   install to "bin" under the prefix, giving a default path of
   /usr/local/ups/bin.

   The "driverpath" global directive in the ups.conf file overrides
   this at run time.

This mechanism is the same as under the old build system, except that
the --with-serial, --with-usb, and --with-snmp options are new.

-- Peter