[Nut-upsdev] NUT-2.0.5: newhidups on RedHat ES4 ( cont'd )

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 12:22:24 UTC 2007

On 4/4/07, Patrick Agrain <patrick.agrain at alcatel-lucent.fr> wrote:

> >This error doesn't look good.
> >
> >Can you retrieve the HID Report Descriptor with either Peter
> >Selinger's descriptor tool (mentioned in the NUT list archives; email
> >me back if you can't find it) or 'lsusb -vvv' run as root?
>
> Charles, here is the lsusb output :
>
> [root at sxb ~]# lsusb -vvv
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0463:ffff MGE UPS Systems UPS
[...]
>          HID Device Descriptor:
>            bLength                 9
>            bDescriptorType        33
>            bcdHID               1.00
>            bCountryCode           33 US
>            bNumDescriptors         1
>            bDescriptorType        34 Report
>            wDescriptorLength    1635
> cannot get report descriptor

You will sometimes see that last line when the kernel usbhid driver
has taken over the UPS.

I am not sure if this is the latest copy of Peter's get_descriptor
tool, but it should do the trick:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2006-February/000612.html

That mailing list thread was concerned with getting the correct
wDescriptorLength, which I think you are seeing, but it also retrieves
that many bytes from the UPS (and that is apparently where newhidups
is getting an error).

--
- Charles Lepple