[Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r1043 - in trunk: . docs drivers

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Sun Aug 12 07:37:58 UTC 2007

> I think the following three lines are typos, should be alarm_set():
>
>      status_set("Replace battery!");
>      status_set("Awaiting power!");
>      status_set("Emergency stop!");

Quite right. I will change this anyway, since I don't like the requirement
that alarms *must* be defined in usbhid-ups. Subdrivers should be able to
set their own alarms (besides the ones that can be considered 'common'),
without the need of modifying usbhid-ups. I already have an idea how to do
this and will post a first go at this later today.

> I thought ups.status was supposed to be a space-separated list of
> tokens, so allowing multi-word tokens would perhaps not be a good
> idea.

Indeed.

> Also, the documentation (docs/new-drivers.txt) speaks of alarm "words"
> not "phrases", and lists OVERHEAT as an example (docs/new-names.txt).
> Will allowing multi-word alarms have any negative consequences?

No. The documentation of the alarms needs to be updated and this too is on
my list of 'todo' items. Allowing multi-word alarms is not a problem, as
long as you separate these somehow. That's why I used an exclamation mark
to end each alarm. In practice, I don't think you'll see this happening
very often. Most alarms require human intervention to clear, so unless
nobody is acting upon these, I guess you won't see a great number of
alarms at the same time (unless a UPS is going down in flames).

> I am happy, by the way, that you are working on the usbhid-ups driver,
> which badly needs it. My child-care duties don't allow any time for
> programming at the moment, so I had been hoping that someone might
> step in if I sat on the sidelines long enough :)

I'm glad it is due to your child care duties. :-)

Eindhoven - The Netherlands