[Nut-upsdev] instcmd "beeper.off "

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Mon Aug 13 09:44:01 UTC 2007

While working on the mge-hid subdriver, I wanted to add the
'beeper.mute' command. Unfortunately, the description I intended to use
was used already by the 'beeper.off' instcmd:

	CMDDESC beeper.off "Temporarily mute the UPS beeper"

Now of course we could add another instcmd 'beeper.reallyoff', but
instead I would prefer to bite the buller and do the following:

	CMDDESC beeper.off "Disable the UPS beeper"
	CMDDESC beeper.mute "Temporarily mute the UPS beeper"

I propose to rename the existing 'beeper.off' commands in the drivers
and documentation to 'beeper.mute' and possibly add a real 'beeper.off'
command. It looks to me that the HID subdrivers should support that
(value=1) and the belkinuniv driver too.

Of course this will have consequences for drivers that already implement
this command:

	apc-hid
	belkin-hid
	belkinunv