[Nut-upsdev] OMRON BX35F

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Tue Aug 28 11:07:53 UTC 2007

[...]

> Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0590:0058 Omron Corp.
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               1.10
>   bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
>   bDeviceSubClass         0
>   bDeviceProtocol         0
>   bMaxPacketSize0         8
>   idVendor           0x0590 Omron Corp.
>   idProduct          0x0058

We currently have no driver that knows these IDs.

>   bcdDevice            0.07
>   iManufacturer           3 OMRON
>   iProduct                1 BX35F
>   iSerial                 0
>   bNumConfigurations      1
>   Configuration Descriptor:
>     bLength                 9
>     bDescriptorType         2
>     wTotalLength           34
>     bNumInterfaces          1
>     bConfigurationValue     1
>     iConfiguration          0
>     bmAttributes         0xa0
>       Remote Wakeup
>     MaxPower              100mA
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        0
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           1
>       bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Devices
>       bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
>       bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
>       iInterface              0
>         HID Device Descriptor:
>           bLength                 9
>           bDescriptorType        33
>           bcdHID               1.11
>           bCountryCode            0 Not supported
>           bNumDescriptors         1
>           bDescriptorType        34 Report
>           wDescriptorLength      27
>          Report Descriptors:
>            ** UNAVAILABLE **

This is bad. Forget about the 'newhidups' (or the 'usbhid-ups' driver it
is called now). This is not a HID Power Device, so that driver will not
work.

>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
>         bmAttributes            3
>           Transfer Type            Interrupt
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
>         bInterval              20

[...]

There are a couple of drivers you could try:

1) megatec_usb requires adding '-x vendorid=0590 -x productid=0058' and
either '-x subdriver=krauler' or '-x subdriver=agiler'. This is probably
the quickest to try out.

2) bcmxcp_usb doesn't honor '-x vendorid' yet, so you need to modify the
nut_usb.c source file to try this one out.

3) tripplite_usb requires a change to the driver, since the vendorid is
hardcoded. It does honor the '-x productid=0058' though, but that alone
will not make the driver work.

The above is basically all we have to offer now. Most of these devices use
non-standard protocols, so it is most of the time trial-and-error to get
these devices to work.

Make sure that you are *not* powering anything when doing your
experiments. The UPS may misinterpret commands or even suffer permanent
(firmware) damage when trying out different drivers, so you have been
warned.

Eindhoven - The Netherlands