[Nut-upsdev] Re: Some questions on driver implementation and variable names

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 04:48:28 CET 2007

On 2/25/07, Edgar Fuß <ef at math.uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> > Can you post the driver here, even if it is not completely ready?
> I can post what I've got so far for review purposes, sure. I was not
> in a mood of testing shutdown commands and the like from home (the
> UPS is installed at work). I will incorporate changes based on your
> comments before I post. Also, I'll have to ask a few more questions
> at the incredibly helpful technicians at Masterguard tomorrow.
>
> > My personal opinion is, don't bother with it.
> As this seems to make for a lot of debate, I'll probably go for
> #ifdef INFER.
>
> > If these are not read from the UPS, don't make them up.
> So drivers should also not make up for minimum and maximum observed
> input voltage? I saw several drivers doing so.

The problem with storing min and max voltages from observed voltages
is that many transients are shorter than the driver polling interval.

The variables were originally meant to hold the min/max values latched
by some UPSes.

> > Yes, input.frequency.low/high. See 'docs/new-names.txt'.
> I guess my version of that file is out-dated (it's from 2.0.4).

You may want to take a look at the SVN trunk if you are writing a new driver.

http://www.networkupstools.org/source.html ("Development Tree")

It will make merging things a lot easier later.

> > Please use the battery temperature for that.
> Hm? I don't see min/max values there either. Besides, I don't know
> the battery temperature with the external packs of an A3000-19.

Arjen: we already have ups.temperature. However, it sounds like Edgar
was referring to the min/max temperature alarm, correct?

--
- Charles Lepple