[Nut-upsdev] Re: [nut-commits] svn commit r831 - in trunk: .

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Sat Mar 3 20:05:55 CET 2007

Peter Selinger wrote:

> the problem was: we want to install the hotplug scripts automatically
> with "make install". However, we cannot assume that a group "ups"
> exists (and if it doesn't, then there will be error messages during
> system boot). Even if there is a user called "ups", this does not
> guarantee that there is a group called "ups".

In retrospect, if someone has followed the INSTALL file, this *will* be
the case. Item #1 mentions that you have to create a new user "nut" or
"ups" and a group of the same name and make sure the user is member of
this group. Apparently, I haven't looked at the INSTALL file for quite a
 while... :-)

> So we either have to make the group name configurable, or else not use
> a group at all.

I think this is proper way to solve this. Shall I post a patch?