[Nut-upsdev] Trying to fix "Unsupported combination of battery voltage / nr. of batteries" error

Frank van Wensveen frankvw at myconnection.co.za
Tue May 1 13:53:17 UTC 2007

Hi, everyone,

I've recently bought a UPS from Mecer. This is a South African brand
that basically resells Mustek hardware, and this UPS is no exception;
it's a Mustek product. It does come with software for Linux, but that
is terrible (the background process that monitors the UPS is written
in Java and needs a terminal to start properly, so you can't run it
from a startup script... that sort of nonsense). So I was very happy
to discover NUT.

However, while NUT does recognize the UPS as using a Mecatec type
protocol and can communicate with it, I get the following error
message:

"This UPS has an unsupported combination of battery voltage/number of
batteries"

The UPS has 3 batteries of 12V each. The nominal voltage is 36V but
the UPS reports 40.8V (which is correct; the float charging voltage is
13.6V per battery).

This message is generated by the driver (megatec.c) but I'm not sure
what causes it. The comments in the driver code are a bit sparse.

Questions:

- What condition (voltage, other parameters reported by the UPS) cause
this error to occur?

- How can I get debugging info (e.g. the raw data reported by the UPS)
out of the driver or other portions of the code?

- Can I change set_battery_params() in megatec.c with impunity?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Frank van Wensveen

---