[Nut-upsdev] tripp lite smart2200RMXL2U error reading protocol

Lance Thomas Lance.Thomas at fammed.wisc.edu
Mon May 14 14:28:47 UTC 2007

I tried the newhidups with the command:
newhidups -u root -DDDD -x vendorid=09ae -x productid=3012 auto

and it goes through finds the ups and tells me that this particular
Tripp Lite device (09ae/3012) is not supported.  And then to try the
tripplite_usb.
I forgot to mention that when we got this tripplite we took the standard
NEMA 5-20P input plug off and are using the NEMA 5-15P plug instead.  I
don't think that would make a difference, but I thought I'd mention it
just in case.

----
Lance sent me the output of "lsusb -vvv" for this device off-list, and
here is the key portion of that:

        HID Device Descriptor:
          bLength                 9
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               1.10
          bCountryCode            0 Not supported
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength    1121
          Report Descriptor: (length is 1121)
            Item(Global): Usage Page, data= [ 0x84 ] 132
                            Power Device Page
            Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x04 ] 4
                            UPS
            Item(Main  ): Collection, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
                            Application
            Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x24 ] 36
                            Power Summary
            Item(Main  ): Collection, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
                            Physical
            Item(Global): Usage Page, data= [ 0x84 ] 132
                            Power Device Page

As Kjell mentioned, this looks like another one of those cases where
the innards of the UPS got an overhaul, but they kept the model name.

Lance: I forget, did you try the newhidups driver as well? That's the
one that should eventually support this UPS (tripplite_usb only
handles the older serial-protocol-over-USB models).

You may have to pass the manufacturer and model options to newhidups
as well, since we were not aware of this alternate vendor/product ID
for this model of UPS.

- Charles Lepple