[Nut-upsdev] USB support for Sweex 1000 VA UPS (was: Help with

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Mon May 21 08:21:42 UTC 2007

Peter van Valderen wrote:

>> Probably the only way to find out is to use a driver supplied by the
>> vendor, typically for Windows, and try to snoop on what it is doing.
> Alright, I guess that makes sense, not the best of news then...

Sweex is notorious for changing the internals of their devices at will.
In fact, they are just selling rebranded OEM equipment.

> I'd figure out the protocol myself, but I'm just not at that level of
> programming yet...

By the time we've figured that out, they have probably switched to
another supplier and yet another protocol. I doubt it's worth the effort.

> One last thing I'd like to mention which might be relevant, the
> drivers that are supplied with the UPS for Windows are from richcomm,
> I don't know if that makes any difference.

No difference at all. It's a Chinese company and most likely they are
not willing to share details about the internals of their systems, for
fear of others copying it (which has probably happened by now anyway).
Don't bother.

> Also, if anyone is interested, I'd be willing to make a VM with the
> UPS plugged into it with remote desktop enabled so someone more
> knowledgeable about these things than me can try and work it out.

I'm not and unless you're willing to take up the task yourself, I very
much doubt that anyone else here will. The track record of Sweex
regarding support of the UPS systems is appalling. If you want full *NIX
support for your UPS, you'd better switch to a supplier who really
develops their own systems and supports them properly (MGE for instance).