[Nut-upsdev] USB support for Sweex 1000 VA UPS (was: Help with

Peter van Valderen p.v.valderen at probu.nl
Mon May 21 20:59:53 UTC 2007

Hello!

> By the time we've figured that out, they have probably switched to
> another supplier and yet another protocol. I doubt it's worth the effort.

Well I guess it is to me, I started playing around with an USB
snooper, I think I found out at least one thing, namely if the power
is connected to the UPS or not, which I suppose is the most important
thing...

When I connect the UPS to the USB and launch the 'PowerManagerLite'
tool by richcomm, the software that came with it, starts polling
approximately once a second with a package such as this:

000036: Class-Specific Request (DOWN), 21.05.2007 22:38:27.203 +1.250
Destination: Interface, Index 0
Reserved Bits: 34
Request: 0x9
Value: 0x200
Send 0x4 bytes to the device

 01 00 00 30                                       ...0

This package is always the same, so pretty obviously a status request.

After this a reply comes back such as:

000038: Bulk or Interrupt Transfer (UP), 21.05.2007 22:38:27.203 +0.0.
Pipe Handle: 0x890c8a34 (Endpoint Address: 0x81)
Get 0x6 bytes from the device

 01 04 02 FE FC FF                                 ...þüÿ
or (next reply)
 01 04 02 FE F5 FF                                 ...þõÿ
or (next reply)
 01 04 02 FE FD FF                                 ...þýÿ

In any case, it looks to be the case that all but 1 bit (the 5th) do
not change. I haven't really worked out what the 5th bit is for.

Now for the interesting part, when I unplug the power from the UPS,
packets now look like this:

 01 04 02 FA F4 FF                                 ...úôÿ
or
 01 04 02 FA F5 FF                                 ...úõÿ

then when I plug it back in

 01 04 02 FE F4 FF                                 ...þôÿ

So I suppose it's pretty obvious that the 4th byte represents the
power status of the UPS.

Just thought I'd mention my findings. I'm trying to figure out where
to go from here, any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter