[Nut-upsdev] Asking hard questions about the NUT architecture

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed May 30 02:19:32 UTC 2007

Rob MacGregor <rob.macgregor at gmail.com>:
> However, back in the human world, why shouldn't the admin know that
> the power has gone out and the system is now on battery support?

The UPSes I use normally make *noise* when that happens :-)

> But why should I (or where I work) have to buy a new UPS when the old
> one works just fine?

That keeps coming up.  I never said I was after anyone discarding their
hardware.  Use old hardware, use an old NUT version.  Or, more likely,
use the big clanking complicated steam-powered upper layer and drivers,
unlike the 99% of users who are using the zippy new zero-configuration
spin of the code.

> That'll be that Linux centric view again - FreeBSD doesn't support
> SIGPWR (and, if I'm honest, it's USB support is still relatively
> immature comparted to Linux), but it works just fine as a NUT master.

What does BSD use as a power-fail signal, then?