[Nut-upsdev] powercom-usb drriver complie?

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Tue Sep 4 08:31:10 UTC 2007

> I am new to linux and not sure how to create the PowerCom-usb driver. So
> could you please compile powercom-usb file for me.

No, I can't. Linux comes in many different flavors and I can only compile
for openSUSE/i586 at the moment. If you don't use that, the binary would
in all likelyhood be no good at all. This isn't Windows.

> I am happy to test it out with the USB PowerCom Ups.

The PowerCom USB UPS'es will require writing a new subdriver to deal with
the USB-to-serial converter it has, as my second reply to you already
stated. This will require plenty of testing, for which having access to
the UPS is crucial. I don't have such a unit and even if I had, don't have
the time to write this subdriver. This loosely relates to the following
comment in the FAQ:

    Any time there is a gap in features, it's usually because the
    group of people who own that hardware and the group of people who
    write code don't overlap.  The fix is to make them overlap -
    turn an owner into a developer or vice-versa.

Apparently, there are other people as well that would like to use PowerCom
USB connected UPS'es (see also the link that I sent), but if nobody is
willing/capable to write a new subdriver, the situation won't change.

If your UPS has a serial port as well, you could try that with the
existing powercom driver. If needed, use an external serial-to-USB
converter that *is* supported by your operating system to connect it to
your PC (if that doesn't have a free RS232 port).

Eindhoven - The Netherlands