[Nut-upsdev] usbhid-ups: shutdown testing needed

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 19:25:49 UTC 2007

Hi Arjen

2007/9/23, Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org>:

> > ok, I'll retain the 2.2.1 re,lease until we have enough confidence in this
> > part.
> > IMO, the APC support should be fine since at least Peter and Charles
> > have tested it.
> > For the others, I've no clue.
> >
> > Ping me back when it's ok.
>
> You won't like the answer, but there *is* some issue with nut-2.2.0 and
> what we have in Testing right now. I can't pinpoint what it is, but
> apparently there are problems with both the megatec_usb driver and some
> CyberPower units for usbhid-ups. Neither of these seem to be present in
> the development version.
>
> There are currently two major differences between Testing and trunk:
>
> 1) All the fixes in usbhid-ups. Mainly the caching the conversion from
> text to numeric HID path, but also fixing the reports that we receive over
> the interrupt pipeline for instance. The latter is broken for devices
> where the logical and physical values for a variable are different (ie,
> where a conversion is needed). The only functional change is in the
> shutdown function, which I think was partially broken in previous versions
> (ie, didn't reboot when power was present at the time of running it).
>
> 2) Splitting of the non-HID specific code from libhid.c and putting that
> in libusb.c. For all USB drivers except the usbhid-ups driver, this means
> that they use libusb.c only and the hidparser is not longer included. It
> doesn't change the functionality of the drivers, but prevents having
> dependencies that shouldn't be there.
>
> Neither of these can be backported easily, since they require changes in
> *many* places of the code, so we would basically have to copy what is in
> the trunk to Testing to make these effective.

indeed, I don't like that at all!
And even more the fact that some of our users can be left alone in the dark...
So, can you backport the necessary changes?
we'll go on a longer -pre stage and test more this time.

btw, i've not had time to bounce on the ShutdownImminent thread and
can't go into a lengthy explanation now. But this really has to
trigger an FSD, at least for MGE units.
Can you also take care of that Arjen?

And if someone has a HID/PDC question, Dominique Lallement (the PDC
chairman) is a member of the NUT project ;-)

Thanks,
Ubuntu Media Center (UMC) Project Leader - https://launchpad.net/~umc-team