[Nut-upsdev] Krauler UP-D1200VA

Carlos Rodrigues carlos.efr at mail.telepac.pt
Sun Sep 30 11:40:56 UTC 2007

On 9/30/07, Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org> wrote:

> > Sorry for the late reply. As I see, Carlos Rodrigues changed battery
> > voltage (nominal) to float and added one battery type: "{ 23.5, 18.0, 30.0,
> > 21.3, 27.1, 22.2 },   /* UNITEK ALPHA2600 */". The problem is that the
> > string for my Krauler should be "{ 23.5, 18.0, 30.0, 19.6, 26.7,  0.0 },"
> > (by the way why do we need low battery (unused) variable?). Setting the
> > range to 19.6-26.7 gives the percentage indication identical to the
> original
> > manufacturer's software. Anyway, 21.3V is too high for 0%.

This line comes from another user, who had reported it a while ago and
whose mail had sit forgotten in my mailbox for ages.

> We should probably expand the matching mechanism here, to include the
> information from the 'I' command. This won't always work however (since
> some UPS'es don't return anything useful here), but if yours does it would
> be an option.

I don't want to go that way. Keeping up a table for all possible
output from the "I" command would be too much work, and the gain would
be arguable, at best.

The voltage table that's currently in the driver is meant as a
failsafe. For users that don't understand what a particular battery
voltage value means, the calculated charge percentage provides a way
for them to know if their UPS is more on the charged or discharged
side (if the UPS gets matched by a line in the voltage table, chances
are the calculated percentage isn't more than 10-15% off from the
value calculated by the original software).

For users that care, there's the "battvolts=empty:full" option in
"ups.conf" where one can specify the proper values for their own UPS.

BTW, the unused "low battery" value is there just in case it proves
useful in the future, to make changes to the way the percentage is
calculated. It's better to ask for this information  now, than not
having it later.

--
Carlos Rodrigues