[Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r1376 - in trunk: . server

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Tue Apr 8 09:31:11 UTC 2008

> right. there are many things that we talked about with Russell (a long
> time ago) that are still to be done. And I'm pleased to see that
> you're working on it ;-)

The most urgent problem, is probably blocking on connect() that was
troubling for a while in the 'netxml-ups' driver, but turns out to be just
as big a problem in the upsclient library.

Until recently, we have worked around blocking on read() and write() in
some clients (most notably, 'upsmon') by prepending alarm() calls to the
library functions. Now that the read/write functions to the library no
longer use blocking I/O, these can (and will) be removed.

Surprisingly, we never used this mechanism on upscli_connect(), which
can/will block just like the read/write actions did. Until recently, I
wasn't even aware that this might be (and actually is) a problem. Should
we attempt to solve this in nut-2.2.2 or (preferably) leave this for
nut-2.4.0 (so that we have a bit more time to see if the changes are
portable)?