[Nut-upsdev] Tripplite OMNIVS1500 Driver Failures

Jon Bougher jonb88 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 13:48:25 UTC 2008

Hello All,

This is my first post to the list & I have tried to do as much searching and
debugging on my own as I can bear. Please HELP!

I am currently using up to date Centos 5.2 32-bit - kernel version:
2.6.18-92.1.10.el5PAE #1 SMP. I am using a Tripplite OMNIVS1500 via usb
connection. I am using the tripplite_usb driver. I have tried to user
versions 2.2.0 from an rpm, 2.2.2 & and the latest SVN version from source

I have had all sorts of strange & aggravating results during the setup and
testing of this device.

Here I go:

- The 3 main ups tools are all working very well back and forth with one an
another. Udev rules are set, I am operating under user=nut. I can start all
3 services and query the UPS with 'upsc hub_ups' - which gives me data that
looks fine. Everything looks good.

- When I simulate the power failure - by pulling the plug to the UPS - I get
the wall alerts that I am OB - GOOD!

- BUT! 9 out of 10 times When I restore power to the UPS, the driver throws
one of several errors and disconnects. The other two services then assume
since the UPS was least reachable in an OB situation that they must power
down the system! And that they do! The other few times I repeat this
exercise, it actually works! This is my dilemma!

Here is the most persistent error type I get when running the Driver in
Debug mode (I am using the latest trunk SVN):

-----

UPS hub_ups at localhost on battery

***I PLUG IT BACK IN***

Error reading L value: Device detached? (error 0: could not claim interface
0: Device or resource busy)
Reconnect attempt #1
= device has been disconnected, try to reconnect =
Checking device (09AE/0001) (003/010)
- VendorID: 09ae
- ProductID: 0001
- Manufacturer: TRIPP LITE
- Product: TRIPP LITE UPS
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 003
Trying to match device
Device matches
failed to claim USB device, trying 2 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
Successfully reconnected
Using OMNIVS 2001 protocol (2001)
Unit ID not retrieved (not available on all models)
Attached to Tripp Lite UPS
Error reading S value: Device detached? (error 0: could not claim interface
0: Device or resource busy)
Reconnect attempt #1
= device has been disconnected, try to reconnect =
Checking device (09AE/0001) (003/010)
- VendorID: 09ae
- ProductID: 0001
- Manufacturer: TRIPP LITE
- Product: TRIPP LITE UPS
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 003
Trying to match device
Device matches
failed to claim USB device, trying 2 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
Successfully reconnected
*Error reading protocol*

It is after this error message that upsdrvctl quits & upsd can no longer
find the runtime data file (understandably), polling fails, and the system
is shut down.

-------

Output from 'upsc hub_ups':

battery.charge:  95
battery.voltage: 13.19
battery.voltage.nominal: 24
driver.name: tripplite_usb
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.version: 2.3.0-1519
driver.version.internal: 0.18
input.voltage: 0.00
input.voltage.nominal: 120
output.voltage: 118.0
ups.debug.load_banks: 0
ups.debug.V: 31 30 34 30 58 58 0d '1040XX.'
ups.delay.shutdown: 64
ups.firmware: F2211.A
ups.firmware.aux: protocol 2001
ups.mfr: Tripp Lite
ups.model: UPS
ups.power.nominal: 1500
ups.status: OB
[root at cssgate2 bin]# ./upsc hub_ups
battery.charge: 100
battery.voltage: 14.69
battery.voltage.nominal: 24
driver.name: tripplite_usb
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.version: 2.3.0-1519
driver.version.internal: 0.18
input.voltage: 114.40
input.voltage.nominal: 120
output.voltage: 118.5
ups.debug.load_banks: 0
ups.debug.V: 31 30 34 30 58 58 0d '1040XX.'
ups.delay.shutdown: 64
ups.firmware: F2211.A
ups.firmware.aux: protocol 2001
ups.mfr: Tripp Lite
ups.model: UPS
ups.power.nominal: 1500
ups.status: OL

Please direct me in what I should do from here. This is my first net-admin
type job and I want to make a great impression. Please guide me through
this, Any other output or info you need, please just ask.

Thank you,

Jonathan