[Nut-upsdev] Battery Volts shown as 20+ on Cyber Power UPS CP1000AVRLCD

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Dec 4 01:35:26 UTC 2008

Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Citeren "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>:
>
>>     I have unsuccessfully tried to solve a problem with the voltage
>> value on my
>> Cyber Power UPS CP1000AVRLCD. Something is wrong with the battery voltage
>> calculation. It always reads around 20 volts with that's nuts (pardon
>> the pun).
>> Right now:
>>
>> battery.voltage    :    20.3
>>
>>     You can take a look for yourself at
>> http://www.3111skyline.com/nutindex.html
>>
>>     Is there a parameter I can check or adjust to get the voltage down
>> where it
>> should be? (Heck, I wouldn't mind just finding where the variable is
>> stored and
>> subtracting 8).
>
> The only calculation that is involved is done in the UPS. Per the HID
> PDC specification, NUT reports the HID path
> 'UPS.BatterySystem.Battery.Voltage' as is. As such, the firmware in your
> UPS is broken, as it doesn't meet the HID PDC specifications. Complain
> to TrippLite if you wish.
>
> Most likely, this will indeed require a correction to get to the actual
> battery voltage. We already knew that and most likely this will require
> two parameters in first order equation to get to
>
>     battery.voltage = A x reported value + B
>
> where A and B are to be determined. Which brings us to the problem that
> we will need at least two sets of reported versus actual battery.voltage
> to get to these. It could be that A is 1 and B is -8 (your guess now),
> but we would need some measurements with a sufficiently accurate
> measuring device to find these.
>
> The person that reported this issue before was either unwilling or
> unable to provide these, so unless you are, this is likely going to stay
> that way. If you're willing to work with us to solve this, please do.
> There already is a battery scaling for some other TrippLite units, so we
> could easily add this.
>
> In any case we'll need the output of 'lsusb' and the output of the
> 'usbhid-ups' driver running with debug level 2 (not higher).
>
> Best regards, Arjen

Arjen,

	I have confirmed the voltage problem again by purchasing another CyberPower
CP1000AVRLCD for a second machine to make getting the discharge voltage easier.
It too shows the full charge battery.voltage as 20+ while actual is 13.68. The
new UPS is on the host ecstasy while the one we started working with is on host
nirvana. You can compare the two outputs:

new:

http://www.3111skyline.com:8084/nut/index.html

19:31 ecstasy:~> upsc ecstasy_ups
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 10
battery.charge.warning: 20
battery.mfr.date: CPS
battery.runtime: 1140
battery.runtime.low: 300
battery.type: PbAcid
battery.voltage: 20.0

original:

http://www.3111skyline.com/nut/index.html

	I predict full discharge actual will be 12.3, we'll see what the indicated is.
Pulling plug now....

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.      |          openSoftware und SystemEntwicklung
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC           |             Countdown for openSuSE 11.1