[Nut-upsdev] ambiguous USB IDs (was: [nut-commits] svn commit r1589 - in trunk: . drivers)

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 03:18:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org> wrote:
> Citeren Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
>
>> Note that this is the same VID/PID as on this example on the Lakeview
>> Research home page:
>>
>>  http://www.lvr.com/usb_on_a_budget.htm
>>
>> We can include the name "Lakeview Research" in the documentation, but
>> we shouldn't lead people astray here.
>
> Another thing, loosely related to this, is how we are going to deal with the
> 'generic' VID:PID combinations in some of the USB drivers, for example the
> megatec_usb and (new) blazer_usb drivers. At present, in the megatec_usb
> driver we have several VID:PID combinations for USB-to-serial converters
> that are commonly found in UPSes. But what happens if other totally
> unrelated (non-UPS) devices use the same controllers? Or that kernel level
> support becomes available for them?

Maybe we split the udev files for ambiguous IDs into another package
(enabled at configure time, disabled by default)?

> Unless a VID:PID combination unambiguously identifies a USB device as a
> supported UPS, using it in a HAL addon is probably not a very good idea.
> Should we remove the 'hald-addon-megatec_usb' driver before releasing
> nut-2.4?

I haven't looked much into the new structures, but could we add
another field to specify whether it is an official VID:PID, or if it
looks suspect? That could help with splitting the udev files as
mentioned above.

--
- Charles Lepple