[Nut-upsdev] Sweex 1000VA UPS (Lakeview Research)

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 13:37:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Tom Cassimon <tom at cassimon.mine.nu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i've read a thread about this UPS from Peter van Valderen. He tried to
> develop a
> driver for this specific type of UPS. I've downloaded nut-2.2.2 and tried to
> apply
> the patches (lakeview.patch & lakeview.v2.patch) but both resulted in
> rejected
> chunks. I've tried to ./configure with type lakeview and then a make, but
> the make
> command fails.

I finally started reading the old thread about this UPS from 2007.

Kjell pointed out[1] that Richcomm System Technologies Co. Ltd. makes
the USB-to-dry-contact converter that seems to be used here[2].

[1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2007-May/002081.html

[2] http://rstcl7795.en.china.cn/selling-leads/detail,1010408416,.html

Excerpt from that page, in case it moves:

Product Origin:China
Brand Name:Richcomm

Product Name: USB Convert Inside Solution for Smart/DryContact UPS

Features: 1) Model numbers: (smart) RC-UB-PN100, (dry) RC-UB-PN20 2)
Smart UPS: a) Instantly converts RS232 communication into USB
communication mode b) Works with PowerManager II software, realizing
inquiry to smart UPS status, data and device control under USB
communication mode 3) Dry contact UPS: a) Convert dry-contact smart
communication function into USB communication mode b) Inquires smart
UPS status and shutdown control under USB communication mode with
PowerManager Lite software c) With PowerManagerLite: USB judges
dry-contact signals: battery voltage low and AC power failed under USB
monitoring mode d) With PowerManagerLite: USB can shut down UPS under
USB monitoring mode

Arjen mentioned that sweex_usb might not be a good name[3], because
they keep changing hardware in their devices.

[3] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2007-May/002079.html

How about richcomm_usb, as suggested by Peter Selinger? [4] It sounds
like they make both the converter device and the Windows driver.

[4] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2007-May/002094.html

--
- Charles Lepple