[Nut-upsdev] RPM .spec files in NUT source tree

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 14:09:17 UTC 2008

2008/12/15 Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec at suse.cz>:
> Charles Lepple wrote:
>
>> Since we do not have many developers who use the *.spec files
>> (although Arjen keeps the openSUSE directory up-to-date), I am not
>> sure if we are doing the packagers a disservice by shipping old
>> package descriptions.
>
> If you are interested, it is possible to create a repository in the
> openSUSE Build Service and create an "upstream package playground"
> there. You can play with the latest openSUSE/Redhat/Debian spec/deb
> files there.

Nice, I hadn't seen that before:

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service

>> Also, by having several different spec files in the release tarball,
>> we are probably breaking "rpmbuild -tb" (if memory serves, this is the
>> option that finds the .spec file inside a release tarball).
>>
>> My question to the packagers: Would you prefer that we include a
>> README file with a link to your website where you keep information
>> about your NUT packages? Or is it worthwhile for us to pull in your
>> changes every so often, so that people who want to test new drivers
>> can do so before you release a new version of NUT?
>
> I am OK with removing the spec file (and optionally even distro-specific
> init scripts).
>
> Having vendor specific spec files is not sufficient - integration and
> packaging conventions change over the time. Things working in
> openSUSE10/SLES10 work differently in openSUSE11/SLES11
> (e. g. desktop neutral notification, hibernation).

Arnaud mentioned that the make-package branch detects the
distribution. I admit I haven't read the code completely (most of my
work has been in the trunk as of late), but if so, we could ship
separate files for each major version.

On the other hand, I'm hearing a number of "don't do that" replies, so
instead, what should we put into the SUSE-specific portion of our
documentation to point people to your SRPMS (as Arjen suggested in
another reply)?

thanks,

--
- Charles Lepple