[Nut-upsdev] RPM .spec files in NUT source tree

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Mon Dec 15 14:27:22 UTC 2008

Charles Lepple wrote:
> 2008/12/15 Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec at suse.cz>:
> > Charles Lepple wrote:
> >
> >> Since we do not have many developers who use the *.spec files
> >> (although Arjen keeps the openSUSE directory up-to-date), I am not
> >> sure if we are doing the packagers a disservice by shipping old
> >> package descriptions.
> >
> > If you are interested, it is possible to create a repository in the
> > openSUSE Build Service and create an "upstream package playground"
> > there. You can play with the latest openSUSE/Redhat/Debian spec/deb
> > files there.
>
> Nice, I hadn't seen that before:
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service

Yes. Just now, nut is in home:sbrabec:backports, but better repository
would be nice. (Few months ago, the discussion about the repo name ended
without a consensus and I postponed the decision.)

> Arnaud mentioned that the make-package branch detects the
> distribution. I admit I haven't read the code completely (most of my
> work has been in the trunk as of late), but if so, we could ship
> separate files for each major version.
>
> On the other hand, I'm hearing a number of "don't do that" replies, so
> instead, what should we put into the SUSE-specific portion of our
> documentation to point people to your SRPMS (as Arjen suggested in
> another reply)?

I agree with that "don't do that" as well. It should be a task for
package maintainers. As NUT is widely accepted by distributors, you will
not lose you users.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12           tel: +420 284 028 966, +49 911 740538747
190 00 Praha 9                                  fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                    http://www.suse.cz/