[Nut-upsdev] RPM .spec files in NUT source tree

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 20:26:44 UTC 2008

2008/12/15 Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org>:
> Citeren Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec at suse.cz>:
>
>>> On the other hand, I'm hearing a number of "don't do that" replies, so
>>> instead, what should we put into the SUSE-specific portion of our
>>> documentation to point people to your SRPMS (as Arjen suggested in
>>> another reply)?
>> I agree with that "don't do that" as well. It should be a task for
>> package maintainers. As NUT is widely accepted by distributors, you will
>> not lose you users.
>
> So basically, we could just remove whatever we have in packaging. I
> could live with that.

indeed.
Stan is also true in saying that it's not only about having the
packaging files matching the NUT version, but also the system version
to integrate with.

I'm somehow happy to announce that the "make package" target and
branch are so withdrawn.

***************************** IMPORTANT
NOTE**********************************************
please however provide some content on how to install nut using your
package specific repositories, commands and UIs. These will be
integrated into the User Manual. At the very least, provide some
pointer to your documentation, explaining how to install NUT.

I'll leave however the system detection m4 macro in place.
it may serve in the future, for trimming the doc for the distro or
whatever user case we may think about (I've you have some on your
side, I'm interested in.

> I'm not too much in favor of directing people to SRPM/websites in the
> sources. This is something that is much too volatile so I think we'd
> better keep this on the website (and make sure we update them
> regularly). What we distribute should be static and preferably depend
> as little on stuff not directly under the control of the developers.

you mean a bare minimum generic-rpm?

-- Arnaud (still over jet lagged)