[Nut-upsdev] RPM .spec files in NUT source tree

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 21:03:03 UTC 2008

2008/12/15 Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org>:
> Citeren Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>:
>
>>> I'm not too much in favor of directing people to SRPM/websites in the
>>> sources. This is something that is much too volatile so I think we'd
>>> better keep this on the website (and make sure we update them
>>> regularly). What we distribute should be static and preferably depend
>>> as little on stuff not directly under the control of the developers.
>>
>> you mean a bare minimum generic-rpm?
>
> Not even that. The same would be true as for all other .spec files we
> currently have. With the help of many autodetection scripts we might be able
> to come up with a somewhat useable .spec file for existing distributions,
> but this will not be able to handle all future changes that there may be.

ok, just wanted to be sure.

> What I would like to see is some links on the website where the latest
> packages for various distributions can be found. All too often we find
> ourselves pointing out users with very old installations where to find newer
> versions. Apparently, the nut-users list is more accessible for them than
> asking the people who packaged NUT for them. Maybe we should ask them more
> often "have you asked your vendor/distribution maintainer for an update"?
> ;-)

strange, we do have a lot of feedback through Debian ;-)

@Packagers: This reminds me that you all have some patches that can be
applied to NUT.
Please, review and propose these for application to 2.4.0.
limiting the difference between upstream is a good thing.
Contributing back your patch to help improving NUT is even more good,
it's logic!

thanks,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - MGE Office Protection Systems - http://www.mgeops.com