[Nut-upsdev] Problems with nut on new openSuSE 11.1 (same ecstasy_ups)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Dec 20 10:01:12 UTC 2008

Arjen,

	I just installed openSuSE 11.1. I though it would be simple to setup the same
CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD on the same machine that we worked through the 20+
voltage issue with, but usbhis-ups driver is failing for some reason. I have
gotten the output I remember you needing from the last issue for you. What do
you think the problem might be? Here is the information:

	First the logs from the install do show a weird "account already exists" error:

Dec 20 03:06:00 arete useradd[6471]: new account added - account=upsd, uid=119,
gid=2, home=/sbin, shell=/bin/false, by=0
Dec 20 03:06:00 arete useradd[6471]: running USERADD_CMD command -
script=/usr/sbin/useradd.local, account=upsd, uid=119, gid=2, home=/sbin, by=0
Dec 20 03:06:09 arete useradd[6497]: account already exists - account=upsd, by=0

	I don't know what to make of this? The root partition was completely formatted
for this new install. The openSuSE install must have saved the /etc/password
file before doing the format. There were no visible errors during the install with:

zypper in nut-cgi nut nut-classic nut-devel

	Everything was installed and the upsd user is indeed in the file but with UID
113 instead of 119:

upsd:x:113:2:UPS daemon:/sbin:/bin/false

[03:58 arete/etc/ups] # rpm -qa | grep nut
nut-2.2.2-67.1
nut-cgi-2.2.2-67.1
nut-devel-2.2.2-67.1
nut-classic-2.2.2-67.1

	I don't know if UID is the problem or not, but just as with 11.0, the ups is
recognized by the system on (Bus 001/Device 005):

[03:51 arete/etc/ups] # lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0764:0501 Cyber Power System, Inc. CP1500 AVR UPS

	Attempting to start nut with rcupsd just resulted in a "Failed" message so I
tried to get output from a couple of the methods you had given me:

[03:32 arete/etc/ups] # /usr/lib/ups/driver/usbhid-ups -DD -a ecstasy_ups
Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)
<snip>

Checking device (0764/0501) (001/005)
- VendorID: 0764
- ProductID: 0501
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device matches
failed to claim USB device, trying 2 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
failed to claim USB device, trying 1 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
failed to claim USB device, trying 0 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
Unable to get HID descriptor (error sending control message: Operation not
permitted)
HID descriptor length 387
Unable to get Report descriptor: Operation not permitted
Checking device (413C/2003) (001/004)
- VendorID: 413c
- ProductID: 2003
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device does not match - skipping
Checking device (1D6B/0001) (001/001)
- VendorID: 1d6b
- ProductID: 0001
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device does not match - skipping
No appropriate HID device found
No matching HID UPS found

	That's all the information I have. If you need anything else, just let me
know. I'm probably doing something dumb, but it you see anything else, please
let me know. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC